You have seen those numerous movies and often wondered- how do people wake up so fresh and happy all the time? Dancing your way out of bed, singing through cooking breakfast, and jogging with a smile to work is not the scenario you face in real life. More often than not, you wake up angry and groggy, tired to go into the workday, let alone follow a morning routine. But somehow we do it every day- wake up and go to work.
Maybe it is worth reviewing your habits now- in the day and at night, that could be contributing to that grogginess. Here, we will look at the reasons you could be waking up tired and look at some tips that you can follow to start the morning by placing your best foot forward and continuing that high momentum throughout your day- whether you are a morning person or not.
Why are you waking up tired?
Inertia is an opposing force that is applied once you suddenly stop moving. While you are traveling in a bus the rationale why you move when the driver applies brake is because of inertia. Sleep inertia is similar, it refers to the sudden discomfort that you simply experience when awakening from a deep sleep. This feeling can cause you to feel very tired and confused making it one of the commonest reasons behind waking up tired in the mornings. Sleep inertia can pull you back to sleep quite easily, this sense goes away in fifteen to twenty minutes.
Also called confusion arousals, this condition could be a disorder that is slightly different from sleep inertia. This usually occurs once you rouse from a deep sleep just after falling asleep for some hours. You would possibly not remember this happened, yet, you will feel really tired after you wake up.
Blue Light Exposure
Melatonin is one of the key chemicals that affect your sleep cycle. Blue light is an emission of light that comes from digital screens. Blue light is way more prevalent in households with new bright lights and this may cause a heavy issue to your sleep cycle. The increased use of energy-efficient lighting and time spent before digital screens is increasing the blue light exposure causing people serious sleep problems.
When you wake up feeling tired, a bad mattress can be one of the reasons. Most studies have shown that individuals waking to feel far more refreshed once they sleep on a brand new and suitable mattress. There are many other factors related to beds, like mites, bed bugs, and other allergens which will cause disturbances to your deep sleep.
Bedroom temperature has a lot to do with your sleep patterns. When the bedroom is extremely hot or cold the general public finds it difficult to go to sleep. How your body adjusts to the area temperature can have an enormous impact on your sleep. It is good if you simply use a temperature control device inside your bedroom so that you would be able to sleep peacefully with optimum temperature aiding you to induce deep sleep and wake up feeling refreshed.
Noise pollution can reduce the standard of your sleep by plenty. Whether or not you are an individual who is comfortable sleeping with music in the background, there is a particular amount of reduction in the quality of the sleep which will cause you to feel tired after you wake up when the sun comes up.
Excessive Caffeine Intake
As much as you enjoy caffeine rushing through your system filling you with instant energy, there are some issues that caffeine poses to your sleep cycle. If you consume more coffee during the daytime or near bedtime, it can increase the issue we face in falling asleep. This may be a significant reason why you wake up tired the next day.
Excessive Alcohol Intake
A little little bit of wine after dinner is alleged to work as a sedative that will bring you a good sleep. However, when consumed in excess you will tend to sleep sooner, yet there is little or no time for you to dive into a deep sleep. When the consequences of alcohol wear off you tend to wake up earlier and more tired, even hungover.
This is a condition where you tend to wake up in between sleep frequently for urination. If you drink plenty of liquid before hitting your bed, then it’s quite natural that you just may get up a couple of times in the night to urinate. In the case of individuals with nocturia, the quantity of water consumption doesn’t matter. Nocturia is typically a signal of some underlying medical condition.
This is one of the most intense sleep disorders that causes your breathing to abnormally stop during your sleep.
Treatment options for wakening tired depend upon the underlying cause. What can you do to remedy the situation?
Good sleep hygiene practices
Good sleep hygiene involves:
- limiting daytime naps to 20–30 minutes max.
- getting natural sunlight exposure daily, to assist our circadian rhythm.
- establishing an everyday bedtime routine, which can include taking a warm bath, doing yoga, or reading
- creating a cushy sleep environment, which is dark, cool, and quiet. Use Livpure’s Blackout Curtains for keeping the sunlight outside your bedroom during early summer mornings.
- Sleeping on Livpure’s cooling gel mattresses and pillows for a cool sleep this summer, which helps maintain the perfect body temperature for peaceful sleep.
- not watching phone and computer screens within the 2 hours before hitting the bed
- keeping to identical sleep and wake times every day, even on weekends.
- Lifestyle and dietary changes pertaining to good sleep. Making changes to exercise and dietary habits can have a major impact on sleep quality.
People can try the following tips to assist alleviate tiredness upon waking:
- Limiting caffeine intake
- Avoid alcohol within the evenings. For the best sleep, we should avoid drinking alcohol in the evenings, and that we should drink no more than one or two drinks per day if we are at all.
- If nighttime urination is a problem, someone should avoid drinking liquids for a minimum of 2 hours before bedtime.
- We should try and avoid foods and beverages which will cause heartburn and other digestive issues for better sleep and waking up.
- Exercising regularly
- A person who has an underlying health condition may find that their sleep improves once they treat that condition. The treatment depends on the sort of condition the person has.
If nothing is helping, it is best to visit a doctor before the situation worsens.
Waking up tired is not so uncommon. Good sleep hygiene and making appropriate lifestyle changes can go a long way in ensuring improved quality and quantity of sleep. And hence, you wake up feeling fresh, ready to dance your way out of the bed and into your workday.
If the problem persists, it is best to see a doctor, especially if other symptoms are present.