Hitting the pillows at the end of the day is the most blissful feeling. However, it is often followed by sleeplessness. Most adults are suffering from sleep deprivation due to high stress and many other environmental and physical factors. But worry not, we have compiled a few ways you can induce sleep right on your bed- no need to take extraordinary steps.
How to go to sleep quickly?
The Military Method
If you are desperately trying to work out a way to sleep instantly or close to instantly, this can be the tactic that you just must try. To keep with militaristic traditions of physical and mental discipline, this system is extremely efficient. Described by sprinting coach Lloyd Bud in his book on performance, this method can induce sleep in under 2 minutes. It just takes plenty of practice.
To use this method, you would have to:
- First relax your facial muscles completely – that features the jaws, cheeks, and forehead
- Roll your shoulders forward or lower them as far as is feasible
- Relax all of the muscles in your arms right all the way down to the fingertips
- As you exhale, concentrate on the feeling of relaxation in your chest and so every other muscle right all the way down to the legs
- Spend 10 seconds picturing a soothing scene and you must doze off by the time you are done
4-7-8 breathing method
Mixing together the great powers of meditation and visualization, this breathing method becomes more effective with constant practice. If you have any respiratory condition, such as asthma or COPD, consider checking up with your doctor before starting, as this could aggravate your problem.
To prepare for this method, place the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth, behind your two front teeth. Keep your tongue there the whole time and purse your lips.
One cycle of 4-7-8 breathing:
- Let your lips part slightly and make a whooshing sound as you exhale through your mouth.
- Then close your lips and inhale through your nose without making a sound. Count to 4 in your head.
- Hold your breath for 7 seconds.
- Afterward, exhale (with a whoosh sound) for 8 seconds.
- Avoid being too alert at the end of each cycle. It should be practiced mindlessly.
- Complete this cycle for four full breaths. Let your body go to sleep if you feel relaxed earlier than expected.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR)
Progressive or deep muscle relaxation may sound intimidating, but it is one of the only techniques that you just can use to go to sleep quickly. It is a relaxation technique that is primarily used to relieve anxiety and stress, but the comforting effect also works to push and induce quality sleep.
PMR involves consciously tensing and relaxing individual muscles within the body, which also has the effect of relaxing the mind. You will be able to use PMR together with breathwork too.
To give PMR a try, follow these steps:
- First tighten or contract the muscles in your feet, curling them upwards.
- Inhale deeply as you contract the muscles.
- In about 5 to 10 seconds, exhale and relax your muscles simultaneously.
- Rest for 15 to 20 seconds before repeating this pattern with other muscles just like the calves, hamstring, glutes, and so on.
Visualization- take a trip in your mind
As the name implies, visualization simply involves using your imagination to visualize relaxing environments, whether it is a beach getaway or a cabin within the woods. With guided imagery, you can even use apps or videos during which a narrator guides you through the method.
Like many of the techniques listed here, imagery is additionally a relaxation technique with proven benefits for promoting sleep. A study found that individuals who used the technique fell asleep much faster and with less distraction.
Try an adult lullaby
Soothing music can be your new BFF when it involves riding the fast train to the land of nod. A variety of research shows that paying attention to certain music, especially classical, can improve sleep quality and help people go to sleep faster. If this musical style really is not your jam, don’t panic- you will be able to find an entire list of up to date songs with sleep-friendly tempos on any app.
Choose your left side for happier digestion
Sleeping on your left side is thought to assist with digestion by taking advantage of gravity to assist food move through the various sections of your colon. Since there is evidence that digestive issues and sleep are related, this might make your body happy and more ready to find sleep.
Side sleeping is especially helpful for heavy snorers and people with apnea because it’s going to help soften snoring, which disrupts sleep. A great way to get into the groove of side sleeping is to hug a pillow. Pregnancy pillows are meant for pregnant people, but we don’t see any reason why the remainder of folks can’t use them too.
Before You Go
To improve the efficacy of sleep and relaxation techniques you wish to make an ideal sleep environment and adopt diet and lifestyle habits that are conducive to sleep. Some such habits would include:
- Stop using digital screens for a minimum of some hours before bedtime as they will disrupt your body’s biological time. If you are using such screens heavily, take a supplement containing lutein and zeaxanthin, which are proven to guard against blue light.
- Use blackout curtains and shut off all light-emitting devices in your bedroom before you head to sleep. Livpure’s Blackout curtains block not only upwards of 95% of the light from outside, but it also helps to keep the room cool in summers and keep noises in check.
- Make sure that supper is light and check out to eat at least two to a few hours before bedtime. Eating a huge dinner shortly before bedtime increases the danger of acid reflux and heartburn, which ends in disturbed sleep.
- Consider taking a melatonin supplement to induce better quality sleep. It is a natural and non-habit forming solution that helps restore your regular sleep cycle.
- See that your mattress is right for you. Sleeping on an old mattress or a mattress that is not helping your body can cause disturbed sleep.
- Take up a gentle to moderate intensity exercise routine early in the evening or a bedtime yoga routine. This can help lower stress levels and improve sleep quality.
- Avoid consuming stimulants like coffee and sugary foods during the evening and for similar reasons, don’t engage in high-intensity activity during the evening.
- Have a hot soak or a warm shower about an hour or two before bed as this will induce feelings of sleepiness.
Let Livpure help you setting up your bedroom
Choose from the wide variety of Livpure Sleep mattresses and pillows to adorn your bed and make it perfect for a night of rest. Choose what your body needs- memory foam mattress, latex foam mattress, natural foam mattress, etc. Pillows also can be found in different varieties and softness. Nothing like cuddling the perfect pillow right to your sleep!
Sleep peacefully with Livpure’s no-cost EMI offers on everything, free delivery, COD options, and all-time low market prices.
The bottom line
Having trouble falling and staying asleep properly for long hours is not only frustrating, but it can also affect your mental and physical health in the long run. Using the techniques above can help you fall asleep quickly while sleeping much better and waking up and having more energy the next day.