The year 2020 has been crazy in a lot of ways. When the year started, we couldn’t imagine what was coming upon us, and no doubt, this year brought a lot of stress. General stress levels are significantly more compared to years past.
Sleep is a crucial resource that keeps you healthy, mentally sharp, and ready to deal with stress more effectively, among other things. Unfortunately, stressed and busy people tend to get less sleep than they actually need. Roughly 50% of people generally are missing enough nap time every night. Missing snooze time every night or most nights can cause many sleep disorders and health problems in the future.
How does work stress affect sleep?
Stress can impact your life in many ways, including negatively affecting the standard of your sleep. It makes sense- you lie in bed, worrying, and feeling anxious, which makes it almost impossible to relax and quiet your mind enough to go to sleep. It’s no wonder people use the phrase “losing sleep over something.” That’s also why those who suffer from chronic work stress day in and out sleep less, have poorer snooze quality, and find it harder to function well during the day.
Unfortunately, this cycle will only still get worse- if you don’t sleep enough at the hours of darkness, your body boosts its levels of stress hormones. The brain chemicals connected with deep snooze are the identical ones that tell the body to prevent the assembly of stress hormones. As a result, after you don’t sleep well, your body keeps pumping out those hormones the following day, you’re feeling more and more stressed, the subsequent night you discover it harder to hit the snooze button in your brain, and so on. Even worse, stress hormones peak in the afternoon and early evening- just the time you should be relaxing and preparing for slumber.
On top of that, the more exhausted you’re feeling, the less you’re ready to focus at work and reception, resulting in even more stress. You’re also more likely to bicker with your friends and family, causing stress over relationships.
More downsides to all or any of this stress? Those who have high, prolonged levels of work stress have a higher risk of cardiomyopathy, depression, high pressure, a weakened immune system, stomach issues, sleep disorders, and more. They’re also more likely to grind or clench their teeth, which may result in dental problems. That’s why it’s so important, if you’re feeling overly tense, to do different stress relief methods and to form getting sleep a high priority. The nice news is that there are many simple strategies that you simply can try tonight!
Manage your stress first
- Learn to acknowledge stress: Stress, especially work-related stress, elicits different reactions from everyone. They will include trouble sleeping, dependence on alcohol or drugs, feelings of irritability and anger, or low levels of energy and motivation. Recognizing these reactions is vital to understanding when you’re stressed.
- Engage in relaxing activities: When performed correctly and regularly, meditation, muscle relaxation, and controlled breathing exercises can all help alleviate stress. Incorporating these wellness activities into your regular routine can reduce stress to a major degree.
- Create goals for yourself: Discarding and not caring about what comes next are a call for help. Stress, especially at the chronic level, can induce these kinds of negative feelings and more. Maintain a positive mindset by setting reasonable goals in your social, family, and vocation.
- Reach dead set your support system: Maintaining consistent communication lines along with your friends and members of the family can reduce stress through emotional support. Some people also find comfort by connecting with community groups and spiritual organizations. If nothing helps, reach out to a doctor to manage your tension and stress.
Once you have recognized your stress, its origin, and taken steps to manage it, it’s time to get to sleep. Here are some good sleeping tips to have a stress free slumber:
- Comfortable room: Make your sleeping environment cool, clean, and healthy. Maintain a cool and calm temperature and humidity in your bedroom. Get an air purifier or an air humidifier to regulate the levels of pollution and humidity to have a good snooze. For a complete sleep. Be sure to get dark curtains for the windows so that you are not awakened before you have a complete slumber.
Comfortable mattress: Your old raggedy bed and mattress causing you to have sleep problems and you think buying a new one will cause financial stress? You can visit the Livpure website and forget about both of those problems. Find an extensive variety of mattresses to suit all your needs. Adorn your bed with a mattress right now to get a comfortable sleep.
- Luxurious and cozy bedding: Add layers to your bed this winter, for a night of uninterrupted and comfortable sleep. A comforter or a duvet, some pillows to snuggle with, some luxurious fine cotton bed sheets might just do the trick. Where will you find all these things? Yes, you guessed it right- Livpure! Find a variety of pillows, fine Egyptian cotton bed sheets, all-weather comforter, and many more things for your sleeping needs at pocket-friendly prices, delivered right to your doorstep.
- No electronics: Televisions, computers, cell phones, and other electronic devices emit a blue light which will interfere with sleep. For best sleep results, keep these devices out of your bedroom at the end of the day.
- Reduced evening intake of food and other things: Avoid consuming nicotine and caffeine within the hours leading up to bedtime. These stimulants can keep you feeling alert when it’s your normal time for sleep. Alcohol may be problematic for sleep. Many folks think drinking helps to sleep due to alcohol’s sedative properties, but you will experience sleep disturbances as your body processes and breaks down the alcohol. Lastly, you should avoid large and fatty meals before bed.
- Regular exercise: Moderate exercise in the morning or early afternoon can facilitate your wind down and go to sleep more easily in the dark. Avoid exercising closer to bedtime.
Work stress can be managed, but it can only be conquered when you address it after recognizing the source. But don’t let the stress eat away your sleep. Follow some simple tips to conquer stress and have uninterrupted sleep, as avoiding sleep day in and day out can cause sleep disorders and other long term problems. Stress can not only give rise to sleep problems but other mental problems as well. Hence, take care of yourself and have sweet dreams every day!